Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
April 18, 2014
We Will Never Forget

   Worcester 6     

December 3, 1999

     FDNY 343 

      September 11, 2001

Engine 1
Updated On: May 28, 2009

 

Engine 1- circa 1875 (in front of quarters at Mount Auburn and Eliot Streets) - Amoskeag 400 gpm steamer and hose wagon built by Jones Company, carying 1000’ of hose 

photo by Tara Bithia 

Engine 1 Wagon- circa 1875

 photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 1 Pump- circa 1875

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 1 Wagon- 1948 GMC/Robinson Hose Wagon

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 1 Pump- 1960 Pirsch 1000 gpm

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 1 Pump- 1971 Maxim 1250 gpm

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey


 

Tower Wagon 1- 1977 American LaFrance 500 gallon booster tank/1250 gpm with 55' boom

Engine 1- 1979 Hendrickson/Continental 500 gallon booster tank/1250 gpm

 

Engine 1, called, "Cambridge 1," was organized in 1832 and was located in a building on Church Street, near Harvard Square. In 1854, the company moved to new quarters adjacent to the police district station on Church Street.

          On 20 June 1859, a new Hunneman hand Engine was placed in service by the company. During 1864, the house was remodeled and on 18 September of that year a new Amoskeag 400 gpm steamer and a Hunneman 2-wheel hose carriage with 900’ of hose were placed in service with Engine 1. On 10 Jan 1872, a new 4-wheel hose wagon built by Jones Company was placed in service carrying 1000’ of hose.

          In 1875, Engine Company #1 moved to new quarters in the city building at the corner of Mount Auburn and Eliot Street (where the Harvard House Hotel is now located). On 15 March 1883, a new steamer built by Manchester Locomotive works was placed in service. During 1885, Engine 1’s quarters was renovated. The living quarters was moved to the second floor and the city’s first sliding pole was installed.

          In 1890, a new Abbot and Downing hose wagon was placed in service. In November of 1921, Engine 1 was motorized when the company placed a new American LaFrance 750 gpm pump and a new American LaFrance hose wagon in service. Engine 1 was the last horse-drawn engine company in the city. (Ladder 2 was the last horse-drawn company).

          In 1928, Engine 1’s quarters was condemned and Engine 1 relocated to the quarters of Engine 6 at 176 River Street. On 25 February 1934, Engine 1 moved to new quarters at 491 Broadway. The 491 Broadway fire house is the current home of Engine 1.

          In January of 1940, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service. In July, 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. In 1960, the 1947 fog wagon, previously in service with Rescue 1, was placed in service with Engine 1. Engine 1 became a 3-piece company and remained so for a few years. Also in November of 1960, the company placed a new 1000 gpm Pirsch pump in service.

          On 23 December 1962, Engine 1 placed in service as the pump, the 1948 Pirsch 1000 gpm formerly assigned to Engine 6. In July of 1966, a new International/Farrar hose wagon was assigned to the company. On 14 October 1971, a new Maxim, 1250 gpm pump with 300 gallons of water was placed in service as the pump. On 3 July 1977, a new 1000 gpm American LaFrance pump with 55’ Squrt articulating boom was placed in service as the wagon. This piece was lettered as "Tower Wagon 1."

          Engine 1 became single-unit on 6 May 1980. The Maxim pump was reassigned to Engine 8. On May of 1984, the American LaFrance Tower Wagon was placed out of service for refurbishing. It returned to service on 31 October 1984. The company ran with a spare pump during this time period. On 9 July 1991, a 1979 Continental 1250 gpm (former Engine 5/Engine 9) was assigned to the company. The American LaFrance Squrt Tower Wagon was placed out of service.

          Engine 1 placed a new Pierce Saber, 1250 gpm pump, with 500 gallon water tank, in service on 24 December 1996. The rebuilt Squrt boom from the former Tower Wagon is mounted on this new pump.

historical information provided by Ed Morrissey


 
 
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

468499 hits since Dec 08, 2008
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image