Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
September 01, 2014
We Will Never Forget

   Worcester 6     

December 3, 1999

     FDNY 343 

      September 11, 2001

Engine 2
Updated On: May 28, 2009

Engine 2's pump and wagon in front of quarters, circa 1894. The steam pump was an 1873 Amoskeag 700 gpm. The hose wagon was an 1892 Abbot and Sowning.

Engine 2- pump and wagon in front of quarters, circa 1894. Steam pump-1873 Amoskeag 700 gpm / Hose wagon-1892 Abbot and Sowning 

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey  

Engine 2's 1951 Pirsch 1000 gpm pump

Engine 2-1951 Pirsch 1000 gpm pump   

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 2's 1966 International/Farrar hose wagon

Engine 2-1966 International/Farrar hose wagon- 175 gallon booster tank/250gpm

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

1976 Pirsch 500 gallon booster tank/1250 gpm

Engine 2 Hose Wagon- 1982 International/Maxim 500 gallon booster tank/250 gpm

Engine 2's 1989 Pierce Lance pump - 1250 gpm/500 gallon water tank

Engine 2's 1989 Pierce Lance pump - 1250 gpm/500 gallon water tank   

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

 

Engine Company #2 was established in 1846 and was located in a wood fire house on Main Street. The company at this time was named Union Engine Company #2. In 1851, this fire house was destroyed by fire.

In 1852, Engine 2 occupied a new brick fire house at 789 Main Street, near the corner of Windsor. Union Engine Company 2 shared these quarters with Franklin Hook and Ladder Company #1.(This fire house is still standing and is the current home of the Christian Holiness Mission Church.) The company's apparatus was a Howard and Davis hand engine.

During 1863, the house was remodeled and horse stalls were installed. On 1 August 1863, Engine 2 placed into service an Amoskeag, horse-drawn, second size 400 gpm steamer. In 1872, the company received a new 4-wheel , horse-drawn, hose carriage which had been built by Jones Company. The hose carriage carried 1000 feet of hose. On 28 November 1873, a new Amoskeag 700 gpm steamer was placed in service and in 1892, an Abbot and Downing hose wagon was placed in service.

On 6 February 1894, Engine 2 moved into new quarters on Front Street opposite Main Street. (Front Street was later renamed Massachusetts Avenue.) Over a hundred years later, this is the current quarters of Engine 2 at 378 Massachusetts Avenue. In 1907, Engine 2 and Engine 6 swapped pumps. Engine 2 now was assigned an1891, Amoskeag 900 gpm steam pump.

In 1919, the company was motorized. The 1891 Amoskeag steamer was equipped with a type 31, American LaFrance tractor. A new American LaFrance type 40 hose wagon was placed in service as the wagon. A new American LaFrance 750 gpm pump was assigned to the company in 1926. In June of 1948, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service by Engine 2 and in July of 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. In July of 1951, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service and in July of 1966, a new International/Farrar hose wagon was placed in service.

Engine 2 placed a new Pirsch 1250 gpm pump in service on 26 July 1978. The company placed in service a new International/Maxim hose wagon on 23 July 1982. On 1 April 1984, Engine 2 became a single unit company as the wagon was reassigned to Engine 4. On 16 May 1986, a new International/Saulsbury hose wagon was assigned to Engine 2. On 12 May 1988, this wagon was reassigned to Engine 4. Engine 2 again became a single-unit company. On the 12th of August 1989, a new Pierce Lance 1250 gpm (with 500 gallon water tank) was placed in service by Engine 2. The 1978 pump was reassigned to Engine 8.

Currently, the company runs a 2002 Pierce Saber 1250 gpm pump with a 500 gallon water tank. The 1989 Pierce was designated as Engine 11 and is now a spare pump. 

historical information provided by Ed Morrissey

 


 
 
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

503050 hits since Dec 08, 2008
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image