Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
October 30, 2014
We Will Never Forget

   Worcester 6     

December 3, 1999

     FDNY 343 

      September 11, 2001

Engine 4
Updated On: May 28, 2009

The quarters, apparatus, and members of Engine 4 circa 1901

The quarters, apparatus, and members of Engine 4 circa 1901 Note also the fire dog in the photograph. 1901 Abbot and Downing Hose Wagon with an 1869 550 gpm Amoskeag pump  

 photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 4's Abbot & Downing hose wagon circa 1901

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Firefighter with Engine 4's dog - 1901

Firefighter with Engine 4's dog - 1901  

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 4's 1948 Pirsch 1000 gpm pump

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 4's 1966 International/Farrar hose wagon

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

1971 Maxim 500 gallon booster tank/1250 gpm

Engine 4 Hose Wagon (Ex Engine 2)- 1982 International/Saulsbury 500 gallon booster tank/250 gpm

Engine 4's last two-piece company apparatus
1986 International/Saulsbury hose wagon, 250 gpm pump, 500 gallon water tank
(note: the wagon was placed out of service on 27 May 2000)
1995 Pierce Saber pump, 1250 gpm, 500 gallon water tank

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

 

In 1846, Hand Engine 4, named "Hydrant 4," was established and was located in a wood building at Western Avenue and River Street. In 1852, the company, now equipped with a Hunneman engine, moved into a brick building at the same location. Due to the steam department and due to lack of manpower in 1866, the company was confined to police district station 2. On 7 March 1871 Hand Engine Company Number 4 was disbanded. It was the last hand engine company in the department.

       Also on 7 March 1871, "Daniel Webster Engine Company #5" was renumbered to Engine 4. The company was located on Russell Street, North Cambridge in a building built and occupied on 28 May 1869. Engine 4 was equipped with an 1869 Hunneman Steamer and a 2 wheel hose wagon with 900' of hose. In January of 1896, Engine 4 received a new Amoskeag 550 gpm steamer. On 20 November of 1896, the company moved to new quarters at 2029 Massachusetts Av., the corner of Blake Street. A Somerville tapper was placed in service in this house and Engine 4 was also assigned to respond to Somerville line boxes.

       On 14 December 1901, a new Abbot and Downing hose wagon was placed in service with 800' of hose. In July of 1917, Engine 4 became motorized when a new American LaFrance 750 gpm, triple combination pump was placed in service. Engine 4 became a single unit company. In 1922, another new American LaFrance 750 gpm triple combination pump was placed in service. The 1917 pump became a spare. On 1 September 1931, a new Mack hose wagon was placed in service, making Engine 4 a two piece company again.

       In June of 1948 a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service. In July of 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. In July of 1967, a new International/Farrar wagon was placed in service. In January, 1972, a new Maxim 1250 gpm pump was placed in service. On 1 April 1984, a 1982 (former Engine 2) International/Maxim wagon was placed in service. On 12 May 1988, the 1986 (former Engine 2) International/Saulsbury wagon was placed in service. On 27 April 1995, a 1995 Pierce Saber 1250 gpm pump was placed in service. The wagon was placed out of service on 27 May 2000. Engine 4 became a single unit company at that time.

historical information provided by Ed Morrissey


 
 
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

526083 hits since Dec 08, 2008
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image