Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
September 19, 2014
We Will Never Forget

   Worcester 6     

December 3, 1999

     FDNY 343 

      September 11, 2001

Engine 5
Updated On: Dec 27, 2009

Engine 5's 1863 steamer -  shown in front of quarters in Inman Square

Engine 5's 1863 steamer - shown in front of quarters in Inman Square  

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Inman Square Fire House - 1874

 The quarters, apparatus, and members of Engine 5 in 1874
(from left to right - the chief's buggy, the steamer, and the hose wagon)

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 5 - 1925 American La France hose wagon - shown in front of quarters in Inman Square

Engine 5 - 1925 American La France hose wagon - shown in front of quarters in Inman Square  

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

1971 Maxim 500 gallon booster tank/1250gpm

E5_oldpump.jpg

1979 Continental/Hendrickson 500 gallon booster tank/1250 gpm

photo from the collection of Fred Ikels

E5_wagon.jpg

Engine 5 Hose Wagon- 1986 International/Saulsbury 500 gallon booster tank/250 gpm

photo from the collection of Fred Ikels

e5tarabithia.jpg  

1991 Pierce Lance Pump (now Engine 11) 500 gallon booster tank/1250 gpm

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

 

2007 Pierce Saber 500 gallon booster tank/1250 gpm

 photo courtesy of MassFireTrucks.com

 

The Patrick H. Raymond Engine Company Number 5 was organized on Nov. 30, 1874 in new quarters in Atwood's Corner, now called Inman Square. The company was named in honor of Chief Patrick Raymond, the Chief of the Cambridge Fire Department and also the first Black fire chief in the United States. The company began service with an 1863, 400 gpm, horse drawn steamer and a 2-wheel, horse drawn hose wagon.

  In 1913, the company relocated to temporary quarters at the city stables on Hampshire St., while their own quarters were demolished and rebuilt. In January, 1914, Engine 5 moved into the new quarters on the old site. This was also Fire Headquarters, the city’s first. Prior to this, the Chief’s office was located at city hall. Later, the Fire Alarm Office was moved to floor #3 of this building. (Both Fire Headquarters and Fire Alarm moved to new quarters in 1933). Engine 5 became the first motorized unit in the Department, using a 3-wheel tractor to pull an 1876 steamer and a new Knox motor hose and chemical wagon.

  Engine 5 became single unit in 1918 with the delivery of a new American LaFrance 1000 g.p.m. triple combination pump. The company became double unit again in 1925 following the delivery of a new American LaFrance hose wagon. While responding to a multiple alarm fire in Somerville, on Nov. 10, 1933, Engine 5’s Pump was involved in a serious motor vehicle accident. The pump was totaled and a spare 1917 American LaFrance pump was placed in service. A new Seagrave, 1000 g.p.m. was placed in service on Jan 1, 1935.

   In July, 1948, a new GMC/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service. Engine 5’s Wagon was involved in a serious motor vehicle accident with a rubbish truck on Jan. 7, 1958. The wagon was totaled and a spare was placed in service. A new Ford/Robinson hose wagon was placed in service by the company on March 18, 1958. On Dec. 23, 1962, a 1960, Pirsch, 1000 g.p.m. pump, (formerly Engine 1’s), was placed in service. In July, 1967, a new International/Farrar hose wagon was placed in service.

   On Nov. 28, 1977, Engine 5 relocated to the quarters of Ladder 2, 386 Portland St., while a new floor was installed in their own quarters. The company moved back to 1384 Cambridge St. on Apr. 3, 1978.

    A new Hendrickson/Continental 1250 g.p.m. pump was placed in service on May 4, 1979. On Feb. 5, 1982, a new International/Maxim hose wagon was placed in service. Engine 5 became single unit on June 17, 1985, as the wagon was reassigned to Engine 7. On May 16, 1986, a new International/Saulsbury wagon was placed in service and Engine 9’s 1971 Maxim, 1250 g.p.m. pump was assigned to Engine 5. Engine 5’s Hendrickson pump was reassigned to Engine 9. On Aug. 11, 1989, the original 1979 Hendrickson pump was reassigned to Engine 5. On Aug. 8, 1991, a new Pierce Lance, 1250 g.p.m., four-door- cab pump was placed in service.On 28 April 2000, the wagon was placed out of service. Engine 5 became a single unit company at this time. On 9 December 2007, a new Pierce Sabor 500 gallon tank, 1250 g.p.m. was placed in service.

(Historical information for this narrative was provided by Ed Morrissey)


 
 
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

510049 hits since Dec 08, 2008
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image