Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
October 31, 2014
We Will Never Forget

   Worcester 6     

December 3, 1999

     FDNY 343 

      September 11, 2001

Engine 6
Updated On: May 28, 2009

Engine 6 is shown in front of quarters at 176 River Street - 1891. The pump was a Manchester Locomotive Works 900 gpm. The hose wagon was an Abbot and Downing.

Engine 6 is shown in front of quarters at 176 River Street - 1891. Pump-Manchester Locomotive Works 900 gpm/Hose wagon-Abbot and Downing  

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 6 - 750 gpm American LaFrance pump - circa 1919

Engine 6 - 750 gpm American LaFrance pump - circa 1919  

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 6 Pump - 1000 gpm Pirsch - delivered in 1962

Engine 6 Pump - 1000 gpm Pirsch - delivered in 1962  

 photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine 6's Pump - 1989 Pierce Lance - 1250 gpm/500 gallon water tank

Engine 6's Pump - 1989 Pierce Lance - 1250 gpm/500 gallon water tank  

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

 

  Engine Company #6 was established in 1852 as Pioneer Engine Company #6 and was located in a building on Pioneer Street in Ward 2, Kendall Square. The company ran with a Hunneman hand engine. The firehouse was moved and rebuilt at the corner of Main and Dock Streets. On 2 March 1864, probably due to manpower and equipment shortages caused by the War Between the States, Pioneer Engine Company #6 was disbanded.

         On 11 May 1891, Engine 6 was reorganized at 176 River Street, Cambridgeport  in a new station. (Over 100 years later, this station is still the home of Engine 6.) The apparatus in 1891 included a new, 900 gpm Manchester Locomotive Works steamer and an Abbot and Downing hose wagon.  The company went in service with 12 men assigned.

        In December 0f 1919, Engine 6 became motorized and single-unit with a new, 750 gpm American LaFrance triple combination pump. In 1926, the company again became two-piece as a 1926, American LaFrance type 40 hose wagon was placed in service.

        In 1926, the station was modernized and Chemical Company #1 moved into these quarters. Chemical 1 had relocated from their previous quarters at 5 Western Avenue. Chemical 1 was disbanded in 1928. In 1928, Engine 1 moved into the River Street fire house. Engine 1 ran out of these quarters until 1934 when they moved into the 491 Broadway fire house.

        A new, triple combination, Pirsch 750 gpm pump was placed in service in June of 1944. In 1949, a GMC/Robinson, high-pressure hose wagon was placed in service by the company. On 14 June 1956, a 1948, Pirsch 1000 gpm pump (former Engine 2 and 9) was placed in service. In December of 1962, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was placed in service. In July of 1966, a new International/Farrar hose wagon was placed in service..

      From 25 December 1979 until 25 February 1981, Engine 6 ran with a spare pump. On 25 Feb 1981, the rebuilt Pirsch pump was placed back in service. On 28 March of the same year, a new International/Maxim hose wagon was placed in service.

        On 7 August 1989, Engine 6 placed the current 1989 Pierce Lance 1250 gpm pump in service. The company also became single unit on this date.  From 4 November 1987 until 30 September 1988, Engine 6 was temporarily quartered at headquarters while the house was undergoing major renovations. On 30 September 1988, Engine 6 moved back into the 176 River Street remodeled quarters.

        Engine 6's current pump, the 1250 gpm, Pierce Saber, was placed in service on 21 January 2003. This pump is equipped with a 500 gallon water tank and a 50 gallon foam solution tank. 

(historical information provided by Ed Morrissey)


 
 
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

526517 hits since Dec 08, 2008
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image