Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
October 22, 2014
We Will Never Forget

   Worcester 6     

December 3, 1999

     FDNY 343 

      September 11, 2001

Engine 8
Updated On: May 28, 2009

Combination #1 - 1905 (Combination #1 was reestablished as Engine Company #8)

Combination #1 - 1905 (Combination #1 was reestablished as Engine Company #8)   

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine #8 Pump - 1919 American LaFrance - 750 gpm

Engine #8 Pump - 1919 American LaFrance - 750 gpm   

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine #8 Pump - 1935 Seagrave - 750 gpm

Engine #8 Pump - 1935 Seagrave - 750 gpm  

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine #8 Pump - 1962 Pirsch - 1000 gpm

Engine #8 Pump - 1962 Pirsch - 1000 gpm   

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine #8 Pump - (the former Engine #2 Pump) - 1978 Pirsch - 1250 gpm - 300 gallon water tank

Engine #8 Pump - (the former Engine #2 Pump) - 1978 Pirsch - 1250 gpm - 300 gallon water tank   

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

Engine #8 Hose Wagon- 1979 International/Continental 500 gallon booster tank/250gpm

 

Combination Wagon #1 was established on 5 June 1905 in new quarters (with Truck Company #4) at 113 Garden Street. This  company was the predecessor to Engine 8. The company was temporarily staffed with detail men from Truck 4.

On 1 March 1919, the horse-drawn combination wagon was replaced with a motorized American LaFrance 750 gpm, triple-combination pump.The company was now designated as Engine Company #8. A new American LaFrance hose wagon was placed in service by the company in 1927.

In 1935, a new Seagrave triple-combination 750 gpm pump was placed in service. In 1949, a new GMC/Robinson high-pressure hose wagon was placed in service. In December of 1962, a new Pirsch 1000 gpm pump was assigned to the company. A new International/Farrar hose wagon was assigned to Engine 8 in July of 1967. In 1974, the pump was equipped with 5" hose.

In January of 1979, Engine 8's Pirsch pump was placed out of service. The company ran with a series of spare pumps until September of 1981 when the 1962 Pirsch pump returned to service after extensive rebuilding. The pump now was equipped with a hose-reel to carry the 5" hose. Also in June of 1979, the company was assigned a new hose wagon, a new   International/Continental.

The former hose wagon of Engine 4 (also formerly Engine 2's), a 1982 International/Maxim was assigned to Engine 8 on 12 May 1988. The 1979 hose wagon was scrapped. On 6 August 1989, a 1978 Pirsch 1250 gpm pump (former Engine 2) was assigned to Engine 8. On 15 August 1996, Engine 8 became a single-unit company as the 1982 hose wagon was scrapped.

Engine 8's current apparatus, the 1999 Pierce Saber, was placed in service on 26 November 1999.

historical information provided by Ed Morrissey

 


 
 
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

522756 hits since Dec 08, 2008
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image