Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
October 20, 2014
We Will Never Forget

   Worcester 6     

December 3, 1999

     FDNY 343 

      September 11, 2001

Ladder 2
Updated On: May 28, 2009

Ladder Company #2 - circa 1902 - Abbot and Downing Ladder Carriage (in front of quarters at 386 Portland Street)   

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey

 

The 386 Portland St. quarters of Ladder 2 (built 1886, since demolished)

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey 

Ladder 2- 1963 Pirsch 100'

photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey 

1975 Seagrave (ex Boston L-7) 100' Tractor drawn Tiller (borrowed from The Boston Fire Department for about 8 years)  

1982 International cab/1963 Pirsch 100' TDA

1986 Sutphen 100' Aerial Tower Ladder
photo from the collection of Ed Morrissey 

Ladder Company #2 was organized in 1873 in a wooden building at Cambridge and Portland Streets but at this time, no men were assigned to the company. In 1874, Ladder 2 was placed in full service. The company was equipped with a ladder carriage built by E.B. Leverich of New York and was built in the New York City pattern. Ladder 2 at this time was named Bradford Ladder Company #2. In 1882, the company was equipped with a 65' Bangor pole ladder.

In July of 1886, the company's quarters was condemned and construction was begun on new quarters. Ladder 2 moved in to the new fire house  at 386 Portland Street in 1887. On 18 March 1902, a new Abbot and Downing ladder carriage was placed in service. This rig carried two 30 gallon chemical tanks. In December of 1921, a new American LaFrance 75' tractor-trailer ladder truck was placed in service. With this new truck, Ladder 2 became motorized. Ladder 2 was the last company in the city to become motorized.

In January, 1942 a new Pirsch 100' tractor-trailer aerial ladder truck was placed in service by the company. On 19 January 1963, another new 100' tractor-trailer ladder truck was placed in service.

On 19 Sept. 1978, Ladder Company #2 moved into new quarters with Engine 3 at 173 Cambridge Street. (The Portland Street firehouse burned in a two alarm fire on 22 October 1978, Box 2-2161).

The company received a rebuilt 1959 Pirsch 100' tractor-trailer on 25 Aug. 1982. This truck had been rebuilt by Continental Fire Trucks, Inc. of Hopkinton, MA. On 29 Aug. 1989, the company placed in service a 1976 Seagrave 100' tractor trailer, the former apparatus of Boston Ladder 7. On 15 Oct. 1991, Truck 2 placed the the 1986 100'  Sutphen aerial tower in service.  This truck had been formerly assigned to Truck 1.

In April, 2002, the current apparatus was placed in service, the 2002 Pierce mid-mount, heavy duty, 95' Tower Ladder. 

historical information provided by Ed Morrissey 


 
 
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

521778 hits since Dec 08, 2008
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image