Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
October 23, 2014
We Will Never Forget

   Worcester 6     

December 3, 1999

     FDNY 343 

      September 11, 2001

Carbon Monoxide(CO) Detection
Updated On: Apr 24, 2009

MGL Chapter 148 Section 26F 1/2 "Nicole's Bill"

 "An Act Relative To The Installation Of Carbon Monoxide Alarms And Smoke Detectors In Residential Buildings."

MGL 26F 1/2 was enacted on November 4, 2005. The law requires that every dwelling, building or structure including those owned by the Commonwealth, occupied in whole or in part for residential purposes and that (1) contain fossil fuel burning equipment or (2) incorporate closed parking within its structure, be equipped by the owner with approved carbon monoxide alarms in conformance with the requirements of the Board of Fire Prevention Regulations.

Some highlights of the law include:

  • Landlords must inspect, maintain, and replace, if necessary, required carbon monoxide alarms at the beginning of any rental period.
  • The Department of Public Health is required to adopt and enforce this requirement on landlords as part of the State Sanitary Code.
  • Every affected residential dwelling, building or structure shall be inspected by the fire department upon sale or transfer.
  • The effective date of compliance is January 1, 2007 for all hardwired occupancies and March 31, 2006, for all non-hardwired occupancies.

 

 The Board of Fire Prevention Regulations has drafted CMR 31- Carbon Monoxide Alarms.  Please note that the carbon monoxide alarm requirements for certain sidewalled gas fueled equipment installations required by the State plumbing code, remain in full effect and are not affected at this time by the passage of Nicole's law (see 248CMR 5.08). For more information, please see the Fire Marshals advisory "Revised Emergency Gas Code Regulation"

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that results from incomplete burning of fuels such as natural gas, propane, oil, wood, coal, and gasoline. Each year many people die from accidental CO poisoning and thousands more are injured.

The first symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include: headache; fatigue; shortness of breath; nausea; and dizziness.

If you think you have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning or your CO alarm is sounding, CALL 911 and leave the building immediately. 

 Please click the following links for additional information:


 
 
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

522981 hits since Dec 08, 2008
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image